Try it out for yourself by zooming in on Google headquarters in Mountain View, California.
- Point your browser to www.google.com and click the Local link on top of the search box.
- In the What box type Google, and in the Where box type Mountain View, CA. Then click the Google Search button.
- In the list of results, result A should be Google. Click that link.
- Under the small map, click View Larger Map.
- You should now be looking at a larger map with Google's location marked and identified near the middle. Click the Satellite link in the upper right-hand corner.
- You should now be looking at satellite imagery for the area under the map. Use the navigation and zoom tools at the upper left of the map to move around and drill down to the desired resolution.
For even more cool imagery, take a spin with Google's Keyhole product. It features the ability to 'fly over' an area and tilt the view so you can see things from different angles. With imagery resolutions of 1 foot in many places and even better in others, it's awesome.