I got tagged by Alex Feldstein, so in the spirit of the game here are five things you might not know about me:
1. I lived overseas for several years while growing up. My dad was in the Foreign Service and we got an assignment to a new country every two or three years. Each move meant learning a new language, adapting to a new culture, adjusting to a new school, and making a new set of friends, but overall it was a great experience.
2. It's been a while since I rode, but I enjoy cross-country touring by motorcyle. My favorite trip is the big circle route from Illinois up into Ontario, Canada, all the way around Lake Superior, and back down the other side. I've done that route three times, I think. Those trips are kind of ancient history now, but I still own the bike.
3. I got my private pilot's license several years ago, something I'd always wanted to do and probably the most fun thing I've ever done. Flight Simulator is great, but there's nothing like flying a real aircraft.
4. I used to teach evening classes in computer programming at our community college. I've always felt that teaching, writing, and giving presentations at conferences and users groups is a genuinely rewarding experience and a nice change of pace from the actual practice of doing software design and development all day.
5. My family and I are on a quest to visit all 30 major league baseball parks. So far we've been to 17 of them. Planning vacation trips to coincide with home games in two or three cities in the same week can be challenging, but it's great fun. Mostly what we have left are the Northeast and Southern California ballparks.
Let's see, who haven't we heard from for a little while (or in some case, for a long while)? I tag:
Esparta Palma (in Mexico)
Emerson Reed (in Brazil)